Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_biggamesjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    I wanted to get some posters opinion's on a discussion I had the other day with a family member regarding boycotting of certain movies or entertainment namely "The Davinci Code" and "Brokeback Mountain" that depict a sinful or anti-christian way of life. Her position was that if you go watch the movies then you are supporting it because you are contributing financially. I have somewhat of an opposing view. While I agree with the premise that they do depict sinful and anti-christian themes I do not believe that by watching the movies that I am promoting or in any way agreeing with what is being depicted. I do understand what she is saying but I wanted to see what some people on here thought.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SunTzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,434
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    I believe that although you may not approve of or support a group of people or their ideaology , if financial gains are made then you have given support . This support may not be outwardly shown but in an underlying way . There are tons of actors and entertainers that I am politically and idealogically polar opposite of , yet I buy their music and watch their movies . They gain financially from me and use some of that to further their drivel . I tend to ignore the fact and let it slide . Some may call that hypocritical and I guess they are right.
    Life is a grindstone . Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up , depends on what we are made of .

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_biggamesjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    Good point. Is it hypocritical of me to see a movie of that nature when I support conservative moral values? In a way I do agree with her point of view. However if you take that point of view then it severely limits your entertainment and social way of life. All of a sudden you can't watch any movie or t.v. show that depicts pre-marital sex or promiscuity, ie adultery...you can't watch a movie that depicts murder, violence or illegal drug use...you can't watch a movie that has any profanity at all...you can't watch a movie that depicts stealing or lying...see where this goes? Even some disney movies nowadays might have to be boycotted!

    Also on an even more controversial note...is it hypocritical of her to boycott such movies but still vote for democratic congressmen, senators and presidents? Which has a larger impact on the moral fabric of America? 3 dollars to rent brokeback mtn or one vote for a congressman/senator who will support gay marriage or civil unions?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    I don't fall into line with any religious category or believe in any type of dogma, but imo you should want to know your enemy. If you are against something, why not learn about it? I heard Rollins say once, commenting on the [censored] and Nazi's on talk shows, "don't boo them. They'll just zeig heil and storm off the stage. Listen to what they have to say so you can understand your enemy". You don't have to agree with anything that you watch, listen to, or observe...I see it more of a way to learn.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_biggamesjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    I guess this is one issue I can really see both sides of...I tend to lean a little more toward your logic on the subject ironlung but it still does bother me to know that I am financially supporting even ever so slightly this type of programming. The relative I am speaking about even refuses to watch Ellen Degeneres or Will and Grace...however I don't think she is as strict when it comes to such subject content depicting violence, drug use or rated R heterosexual scenes.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    okay here is my 2 cents on the case. protest it. while your at it, protest every movie that has GD in it. everymovie that has any type of magic, every disney movie, basically every movie that does not is not PG. how can you protest a movie that has homosexuality in it, but not protest a movie that has gratitious murder in it?

    my point is, and no offense to that person or you, but what you are basically saying is if you are gay then that is worse than killing someone (because you never mentioned protesting a movie with murder). and even if you did protest it, all that is saying is i have nothing better to do with my time then SHOW everybody how against this movie i am. If you are that against it, stay home and pray for the producers of the movie, imo.

    as far as the davinci code is concerned, i read every page, all 105 chapters. the only thing unreligious about it is they said that Jesus had a child with Mary M. He still died for our sins, he still was born of the virgin Mary, etc.

    Davinci code = Jesus had a kid with Mary M + the movie "National Treasure".

    The main thing is, it is FICTIONAL. would you protest Harry Potter?
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    The biggest problem is watching something or reading something does not mean you support something. That's the problem, you have some who can't take blame of their own actions or thoughts and have to blame something else, because they figure everybody else is going to be weak minded or lack control like they are.


    Here I went and watched Natural Born Killers, it doesn't make me walk around killing people, it doesn't send me on a killing spree anymore than watching DaVinci would make me any less religious or watching the Passion of the Christ would make me anymore religious. The attempts to get people to avoid or protest is just a small small step from book burning. Someone who 'thinks' they have to protect or steer people right.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    Go see the Da Vinci Code... it doesn't do anything that is anti-christian.. You'll see that for yourself in the whole entire movie. It's a beautiful movie. That pretty much says, what difference does it make if Jesus was actually married or not, nothing will change. He's the Son of God, and loves us all.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_juggernaut28's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    941
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    I can understand your family's point of view on not wanting to support these two movies. They both tell a story that is against the teachings of the Word of God. So to some there is no desire to even want to watch it. I wouldn't watch neither myself, just no desire to. I agree with someone that said if either one of these movies could cause doubt to someone's belief then their faith isn't that strong to start with. But I disagree with the comment that if you don't watch it then you are only going on what someone else has said about the movie, that is true and not true. There are some things we should watch if we are going to argue against it, but some movies are self explanatory and no need to watch it. Like in the "divinci code" it talks about Jesus marrying Mary, now to those who believe in the Bible will Never want to hear such garbage about Christ. So even though I will not watch this movie I would argue that point to any man. Also the movie broke-back mountain, well just sick IMO, and would never watch it either or any other gay movie. So to just nic pick, you can't hardly watch a movie that doesn't show some kind of sin. Most movies depict sin as fun and well we are all human and you only live once so just have fun doing it. But in all reality most movies are just sin itself, teaching lies, showing sexual desires of all kinds, adultry, homosexual relationships, preteen sex, teenage pregnancy is ok making it alluring for others to try. We are all guilty of watching something we shouldn't.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: DaVinci or no DaVinci?

    Great Post, Jugger. I agree. I have no desire to see the movie.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •